Do You Need a Police Report for Your San Diego Car Accident?
If you’re in a car accident in San Diego, there are two things you need to do. First, make sure you get medical treatment immediately after the accident. You need to make sure you’re okay. You also need to document your injuries in case your car accident lawyer in San Diego needs proof down the road.
The second thing you need to do is call the police. Whether the other driver wants you to or not, you have to call the police. In fact, if he asks you not to call the cops, that’s all the more reason why you should.
If someone is avoiding calling the cops, there’s a good reason. Some of these reasons may include:
- The damage to your car is minor
- You and the other driver agree to just handle it through your insurance companies
- The weather is terrible and you just don’t want to stand outside waiting
- You’re in a rush or late for an appointment
- You don’t think you’re hurt
- the other driver begs you not to call the police and you feel bad
All of these reasons seem like they make sense. However, there could be other reasons why the other driver doesn’t want to call the cops.
- He could be drunk or under the influence of drugs
- No valid driver’s license
- No insurance
- Active warrants
- He was breaking the law at the time of the accident
You need as much proof of his guilt as possible. The police report can help your car accident lawyer in San Diego do this.
Your Car Accident Lawyer in San Diego Need the Information in the Police Report
The police report contains information vital to your case. If you don’t call the police, you’ll have no chance to get this information later. The police report is a treasure trove of information, including:
- Name, license and insurance information for both drivers
- Name and contact information for witnesses
- Statements made by both drivers
- Witness statements
- Pictures of the scene, road conditions and the vehicles
- Whether either driver was under the influence of alcohol or drugs at the time of the accident
- Information regarding any citations issued as a result of the accident
Although your attorney can get some of this information in other ways, it can be expensive and time consuming. It also won’t be as reliable as a police report.
Because the police report is generated by an officer of the law, it is given great weight. Juries and judges don’t question the information in a police report. They can’t imagine any reason the police officer would have to lie.
Your Car Accident Lawyer in San Diego Can Use the Police Report to Prove Liability
The police report will contain information about the other driver. If, for example, he’s arrested for drunk driving at the accident scene, you can use this. Your car accident lawyer in San Diego can submit this as evidence of liability.
Your car accident lawyer in San Diego can also find out if the defendant was convicted of the offense or not. If he was, he can introduce evidence of his conviction to show liability. This can be very convincing evidence for a jury. It can also be the motivation the insurance company needs to settle your case.
The police report will also have witness information. This includes statements made by the drivers involved in the accident. People say things at the accident scene that they wouldn’t say under oath.
For example, when the police take the other driver’s statement, he may still be shaken up. He hasn’t had time to think of ways to blame you for the accident. He also hasn’t had the chance to talk to an attorney and come up with excuses for why he’s not liable.
Some of these statements against interest may include:
- Statements about the driver being distracted or tired
- Statements about his being on the phone at the time of the accident
- Comments about mechanical issues or faulty repairs on his vehicle
- Admissions of speeding or driving recklessly
Your car accident lawyer in San Diego can use all of this information to your advantage.
Contact a Car Accident Lawyer in San Diego Today
If you’ve been in a car accident in San Diego, you need to contact a car accident lawyer in San Diego today. Your lawyer can review your case and let you know what it may be worth. He can also try to negotiate a settlement with the insurance company.
Call and schedule a free initial consultation today. He can answer any questions you may have. The consultation is free and you pay nothing until you settle your case!